Thursday, May 05, 2011

The best iOS Weather Apps I've Found

This is a summary of the iOS weather apps I recently reviewed, as I became unsatisfied with the weather apps I was using on my iPhone and iPad. I was talking with my good friend Hobbes today about this revisit and he requested a summary. I thought I'd take this chance to become a little familiar with MarsEdit and Markdown.

Please forgive me for not writing reviews of these apps; it's not necessary, as Ben Brooks has already done a very good job of reviewing my picks. Please see the update below for links.

There are the two best weather apps for iOS that have received a consensus among those I read and trust online and myself. Unfortunately, they have lame names and lame icons. If I could only have two, this'd be them.

The Best

iPad

Seasonality Go

  • Almost perfect. On my first screen by itself.

iPhone

My-Cast Weather Radar

  • I'd forgotten it had a radar until I saw its full name; I just call it My-Cast, but that's not unique in the App Store.
  • It's got all the basics I need in a quick and pleasant layout.
  • Not on the front screen, as there are two faster apps on the front. On the second screen by itself. My go-to weather app when I need details and can't get my iPad out.

Honorable mentions

iPad

All three of these are in a group on the third screen; i.e., I almost never use them.

Moxier WeatherCaster

  • My favorite until this revisit. Good info and pretty, but it has those lame canned video loops that take space and video CPU. Needed replaced.

On my iPad, I've also got:

WeatherBug for iPad

  • Not as good, and has ads.

WunderMap

  • No ads that I saw, but map-heavy and info is too dense.

iPhone

Ah, here there are some other contenders. Thermo and Fahrenheit are on the front screen by themselves; My-Cast in on screen two by itself. WeatherBug is in a group on page three with the real rejects: Apple's Weather, AccuWeather, and TWC. Keep in mind that Apple's Weather was on my front screen by itself until the revisit.A

Thermo

  • Gorgeous, simple, and fast. Just the temperature now and yesterday at your current location.
  • On my front screen by itself.

Fahrenheit

  • Current temp for home location in a badge on the icon, updated about hourly or when launched. Gorgeous icon, and the data inside is good but not great.
  • On the front screen next to Thermo.

I look forward to your thoughts.

Update

I'd like to give credit to Ben Brooks for his blog posts on iOS weather apps, including this one that included My-Cast and this one that covers Seasonality Go. He also wrote a follow-up that includes a few more apps. Thanks, Ben!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home