Tuesday, October 04, 2005

temporary home for my weblog

I'll be posting here until I rebuild my site. It may take a few days, as I have many decisions to make. I'll explain.

My home server crashed Sunday evening. Why? Corrupt files. I quickly rebuilt the OS and the email environment.

But I'm taking my time on the web environment. I'm considering a few different weblog systems, content management systems (CMS), and Wikis. I want a Wiki; I've got one at work, and they're quite useful for non-date-specific, unstructured information.

Here's my plan:

No freaking php. As much as I admire the simplicity of the language and some of the beautiful applications built with it -- WordPress, MediaWiki, and TextPattern being good examples -- I've seen too many widely exploited security vulnerabilities.

No Plone. As much as I admire it, it's too complicated for a personal site.

I think I'll stick to Perl-based applications. Python and Ruby haven't been completely ruled out. Zope and its CMF are compelling, but, other than Plone, what Python-based CMSes are there?

index.html will be static, and a portal to the different parts of my site.

/weblog will be my main weblog. My previous weblog, which will be available again, was Movable Type. I'm currently leaning to implementing my new weblog in the latest version of Movable Type as well. Blosxom is my other option.

I'll have a small set of "about me" static pages. I'd like to manage them with a CMS. I was thinking about Bricolage, but it may be too complicated. Maybe I'll just use Mason.

I've no idea yet which wiki I'll use, but I'll have one.

I'll probably also have a site-wide search engine. I've implemented htdig at work, and am quite pleased with the results.

Thoughts?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home